As a non-materialistic goal of human life, there's been so much talk about "peace", along with the techniques to find it. If you're looking for ways to connect with your divine self, chakra is a great option to go for. It is the source of pure happiness and divine energies. People often wonder about how many chakra are there and how vast this concept is.
The human body has 114 chakras and 72,000 nadis that represent divine energy and the network of energy flow. However, 12 of them are addressed as the major chakras. Among them, 7 main chakras reside inside the body, and 5 outside the body. They are energy centers of the body that represent the movements of ‘energy circulation.’
If you open your chakras and take care of them through meditation or “Reiki,” it leads you to a mental state of well-being and spiritual evolution. Don’t worry if all these together are making you a little confused. This article will help you to understand the whole concept of chakras.
It isn’t easy to comprehend at first, as there are 114 chakras and more than 72,000 nadis representing this divine energy of the network. But we direct our attention towards the most notable and essential chakras. We consider 12 of them to be the most important ones; among them, 7 chakras are located in the human body, and the other 5 are outside the human body.
There are seven main chakras inside our bodies: root chakra, sacral chakra, solar plexus chakra, heart chakra, throat chakra, third eye chakra, and the crown chakra. And the 5 other chakras outside the body are earthstar chakra, soul star chakra, universal chakra, galactic Chakra, and divine Gateway Chakra.
In the specific anatomical areas of the human body, these 7 chakras are located. When people wonder how many chakras are there, they actually refer to these main 7 chakras. Let’s have a look at the functions and significance of these chakras!
1. Root Chakra
Root chakra or ‘Muladhara’ is the first chakra of the human body. ‘Mula’ means root and source, and ‘dhara’ means foundation. The responsibility of this chakra is to keep us calm, feel us secured and ground us. The significance of this chakra are:
●Location: In the base of the spine
●Responsibility: makes us stable and controls financial independence, money, and food
●Hymn: “LAM”- I Am
●Age of development: 1-8 years old
●How to open this chakra: Warrior yoga pose
This chakra alone is dominant. If this chakra is blocked, we might not be able to balance our life, and it gets difficult to survive.
2. Sacral Chakra
● Location: 1-2 inches above the pubic bone, under the naval area, over the genital organ
● Responsibility: opens the energy of passion, physical happiness, and fulfillment
● Color: Orange
● Hymn: “VAM”- I Feel
● Element: Water
● Age of development: 8-15 years
● How to open this chakra: Bound Angle Yoga
It helps you to see happiness beyond worldly life. This chakra gives you the freedom to express your desires and wishes.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra
● Location: stomach area, upper abdomen side, in between heart and sacral chakra
● Responsibility: Self-confidence, ambitions, and self-esteem
● Color: Yellow
● Hymn: “RAM”-I Do
● Element: Fire
● Age of development: 15-20 years
● How to open this chakra: Boat yoga pose
● Stones: Amber, Citrine, Calcite, Tiger eye, Yellow Topaz, Agate, Yellow Jasper, Yellow Tourmaline, Lemon Quartz, Sunstone
If your solar chakra gets blocked, you might start to feel self-doubt and shame on yourself. It helps you to feel confident and clear.
4. Heart Chakra
● Responsibility: guides our heart
● Color: Green
● Hymn: “YAM”- I Love
● Element: Air
● Age of development: 20-25 years
● How to open this chakra: Camel pose yoga
● Stones: Rose Quartz, Green Aventurine, Emerald, Rhodonite, Green Jade, Amazonite, Malachite, Prehnite, Rhodochrosite, Green Tourmaline, Chrysoprase, Green Calcite, Kunzite, Green Moldavite, Moss Agate, Peridot
It helps us get better in our relationships by experiencing true love, trust, forgiveness, and compassion. It combines our survival and liberal instincts and enlightens our true selves.
5. Throat Chakra
● Location: Throat
● Responsibility: Communication, truth, and expression
● Color: Turquoise
● Hymn: “HAM”- I speak
● Element: Sound/Music
● Age of development: 30-35 years
● How to open this chakra: Fish pose yoga
It opens the energy of speaking what is in our minds and listening to others. If it is blocked, we might not express our feelings correctly.
6. Third Eye Chakra
● Responsibility: Awareness, imagination, and wisdom
● Color: indigo
● Hymn: “OM” or “AUM” – I see
● Element: light
● Age of development: 35-43 years
● How to open this chakra: Child’s pose yoga
It helps us to visualize the situation beyond physical dimensions and have clear thoughts. If it gets blocked, you will not be able to imagine or think clearly.
7. Crown Chakra
● Locaton: on the top of our head
● Responsibility: spirituality
● Color: violet
● Hymn: “AH” – I understand
● Element: Divine consciousness
● Age of development: 45-50 years
● How to open this chakra: Headstand yoga pose
It helps us to be ecstatic beyond all reasons. If this chakra gets blocked you may face difficulties to find peace in your life.
How to open your Chakras
In order to bring balance, happiness, and purification to your life, you need to open your chakras. Unlocking your chakras requires grounding activities such as yoga, walking, and house cleaning. There are several methods of opening your chakras. Such as:
Hopefully, this article helps you find how many chakra are there and how they guide us to find our goals. When all the chakras and nadis are in balance, we manifest our true divine selves.
We have to constantly work on our chakras to make sure they are functioning correctly. We wish you all the luck finding the chakra that works the best for you!